Our 4wd – What Makes It Capable
For as long as I can remember, we have pretty much always had a 4wd parked in the driveway. Everything from an old 90’s Mitsubishi Pajero, a Nissan R51 Pathfinder to a very capable 4wd Ford PX Ranger.
After Orbs came along we needed an extra seat so a wagon it had to be again.
Our overland vehicle of choice this time is the brand spanking new Toyota Fortuner.
For those that don’t know what a Fortuner is, they are pretty much a Hilux wagon. Originally we were going to buy a Ford Everest but the Fortuner seemed to have more space on the inside and we both wanted a manual gear box, so the choice was easy. We bought a 2015 GX manual at the start of 2016 and have been modifying it into a capable 4wd for our adventures ever since.
All the gear that makes our tourer tough has been installed by us at home in the shed; so we can proudly say this is 4wd we modified and built up ourselves.
The gear that makes it capable
- Ironman 4×4 Deluxe Bullbar
- Dominator 12000 lbs winch
- Brown Davis UG2 underbody protection
- Phat Bars angled rock sliders
- Dobinsons MS 3″ lifted suspension
- Rola Titan Tray flat platform roof tray
- Boss Wheels, Vapour 17×9 +15 offset
- 265/70r17 Kumho KL Mt51 tyres
- TJM Airtec snorkel
- Steinbauer Power module
- Uniden UHF radio
- Lightforce rok10 curb lights on buds customs bonnet brackets
- Stedi ST4K 28″ led light bar
- Stedi 3501 11.5″ led light bars
- Stedi ST3K 41.5″ led light bar
- Stedi 10W mini work lights
The future modifications
- Upper control arms
- Diff drop
- Rear wheel carrier
- Brake upgrade
The recovery gear we always carry with us on our adventures
- 900 TRED’s + TRED Pro
- Tyre deflators and air compressor
- Tree trunk protector
- 9000 lbs snach strap
- 3x 4.7T shackles
- Winch dampener and snatch block
- Folding shovel
- First aid kit
We love owning a 4wd and being able to get to the awesome spots that a normal car just couldn’t. We love camping and exploring this beautiful country of ours and we intend on seeing as much of it as we can. The future plan is to eventually buy a camper trailer and start doing trips further from home.
Stay tuned for future progress.